0. Prepare the patient. (3)
- strip to underwear.
- perform appropriate hand hygeine.
1. Screening questions (3)
- pain or stiffness in your muscles, joints or back?
- difficulty dressing yourself?
- difficulty walking up and down stairs?
2. Gait (1)
- walk barefoot then turn
- Assess smoothness and symmetry
- Antalgic gait
- pelvic tilting
- trendelenburg gait
- foot drop + high stepping
- crouch gait
3. Spine (looking from behind) (5)
- muscle bulk,
- symmetry of legs and trunk.
- assymmetry at iliac clest level
- Achilles tendons and hindfoot regions for swelling or deformity
3a. Spine actions (6)
- bend down and touch toes.
- Turn from side to side
- Slide hand down leg to knee
- Ear to shoulder
- Look at ceiling and floor
- Let jaw drop open and move side to side
4. Arms (from in front of patient) (12)
- press midpoint of supraspinatus
- Hands behind head
- Hands in blood taking position,
- palm up and down
- Bend arms to touch shoulders
- Prayer sign
- Inverse prayer sign
- Hands straight out
- Clench fist,
- then hands flat, outspread
- Squeeze metacarpals softly
- Power grip your fingers
- Touch each finger to thumb
5. Legs (supine on couch) (6)
- Thomas' test
- Flex each hip and knee.
- Feel for crepitus, warmth, swelling in patellofemoral joint
- Flex knee and rotate hip internally and externally.
- Inspect feet for calluses, ulcers
- Gently squeeze metatarsal heads for tenderness