What are the four basics of consuming a healthy diet?
- balance the calories
- eat a variety of foods
- consume less-healthy foods in moderation
- strive to be physically active
discuss the concept of "calories in vs. calories out"
if you take in more calories than you expend, you will gain weight and if you expend more calories than you consume, you will lose weight
what are four basic steps for losing weight and keeping it off?
- Establish a realistic goal for weight loss
- Assess your diet and determine how you can modify it to reduce your caloric intake while still consuming all the nutrients you need for health
- Decide which physical activities you will begin doing to raise your daily caloric expendeiture and increase or maintain muscle mass
- Modify your diet and lifestyle to lose the weight you want to lose and prevent future wight again
what five things can you do to reduce your risk of heart disease?
- Dont smoke
- Manage your blood pressure
- Exercise regularly
- Develop ways to handle stress and anger
- Eat a heart healthy diet
- Know and manage your cholesterol levels
What are the three main stress management techniques?
- Manage or reduce the number of stressors
- Get an adaquate amount of rest and sleep
- Exercise your body
Describe a physically fit person
a physically fit person can carry out their normal daily activities and still have enough energy left over for fun and any unexpected emergencies that may arise.
Know how to calculate a Target Heart Rate Zone
- a 19 year old would calculate her target heart rate as follows
- MHR(maximum rate) = 220 - 19(age) = 201
- 65% training intensity = 0.65 * 201 = 131 bpm
- 90% training intensity = 0.90 * 201 = 181 bpm
what is the FITT principle?
apply the FITT principle to cardiorespiratory endurance training
- Frequency: 3-5 days per week
- Intensity: 55/65-90% of maximum heart rate
- Time: 20-6- minutes in sessions lasting 10 minutes or more
- Type: continuous rhythmic activites using large muscle groups
apply the FITT principle to strength training
- Frequency: 2-3 nonconsecutive days per week
- Intensity: sufficient resistance to fatigue muscles
- Time: 8-12 repetitions of each exercise 1 or more sets
- Type: resistance exercises for all major muscles groups
apply the FITT principle to flexibility training
- Frequency: 2-3 days per week min 5-7 days/week ideal
- Intensity: stretch to the point of tension
- Time: 2-4 reps of each exercise, held for 15-30 secs
- Type: stretching exercises for all major joints
what are the warning signs of a heart attack?
- Chest discomfort: discomfort in the chest that lasts more than a few minutes or goes away and comes back
- Discomfort in other areas of the upper body: pain or discomfort in one or both arms, back, neck, jaw, stomach
- Shortness of breath: may occur with or without chest pain
- Other signs: cold sweat, nausea, vomiting, lightheadedness
what are the warning signs of a stroke?
- Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm, or leg, especially on one side of the body
- Sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding
- Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes
- Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, or loss of balance or coordination
- Sudden, severe headache with no known cause