_____ is a condition in which the person experiences changes in the normal balanced state.
A ______ is any event or stimulus that causes an individual to experience stress.
What indicatior of Stress are there?
Physiologic, psychologic, or cognitive
Name the Psychologic Indicators of Stress?
- Anxiety: a state of mental uneasiness, apprehension, dread, or foreboding or a feeling of helplessness related to impending or anticipated unidentified treat to self.
- Fear: an emotion or feeling of apprehension aroused by impending or seeming danger, pain, or another perceived threat.
- Anger: an emotional state consisting of a subjective feeling of animosity or strong displeasure
- Depression: an extreme feeling of sadness, dispair, dejection, lack of worth, or emptiness, affects millions of Americans a year.
- Ego Defense Mechanisms: unconscious psychologic adaptive mechanisms or mental mechanisms that develop as the personality attemts to defend itself, establish compromises among conflicting impulses, and calm innner tensions.
Name the Cognitive Indicatiors of Stress?
- Problem solving: involves thinking through the threatening situation, using specific steps to arrive at a solution.
- Structuring: the arrangement or manipulation of a situation so that theatening events do not occur.
- Self-Control (discipline): assuming a manner and facial expression that convey a sense of being in control or in charge.
- Suppresion: consciously and willfully putting a thought or feeling out of mind; "I won't deal with that today. I'll do it tomorrow."
- Fantasy or Daydreaming: likened to make-believe
_____ may be described as dealing with change- successfully or unsuccessfully.
What is a coping strategy?
a natural or learned way of responding to a changing environment or specific problem or situation
The effectiveness of an individual's coping is influenced by a number of factors, what are tthey?
- 1. The number, duration, and intensity of the stressors
- 2. Past experiences of the individual
- 3. Support systems available to the individual
- 4. Personal qualities of the person
As a nurse, what are some assessment questions you could ask about Stress and Coping Patterns?
- 1. On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is "very minor" and 10 is "extreme," how would you rate the stress you are experiencing in the following areas? (home, work, relationship with family, ext.)
- 2. How long have you been dealing with these stressors?
- 3. How do you usually handle stressful situations?
- 4. How well does your usual coping strategy work?
What are the assessment of clien's stress and coping patterns?
- Nursing history
- Physical examination of the client for indicators of stress (nail biting, nervousness, weight changes)
- Stress-related health problems (hypertension, dyspnea)
What are some of health promotion stragegies for Stress?
Exercise, Sleep, Time Management, and Nurtition.