- different methods
- we need others to agree with us or do things for us.
- pre-giving, liking, promising, threat, guilt, esteem, and debt.
your ability to have power over others because you have more knowledge and skills on the subject
most important source of power because it's based on loyalty
- you are the best or only source of rewards.
- a teacher might give a student rewards for good grades.
based on possible negative outcomes that are used as weapons
- the leader has power because they are in a higher position than you.
- your boss at work
Knapp's Relationship Escalation Model
what are the 5 steps?
Economic Model of Relationships
if the rewards of the relationship exceed the costs, than the relationship will continue.
when one person in the relationship tries to define reality for the other person
Knapp's Relationship Termination Model
what are the 5 stages?
- differentiating - both parties begin to assert independence
- circumscribing - diminishment of communication
- stagnating - they avoid discussing the relationship
- dissects events/concepts into pieces that can be backed up by facts
- European/US way of thinking
- doesn't dissect events or concepts
- fables and storytelling
- south america
how to be empathetic?
- don't try to give advice right away
- listen to what they have to say
- only offer help if you will actually follow through
4 causes of conflict
- 1. goals to be pursued
- 2. allocation of resources - time, money
- 3. decisions to be made
- 4. behaviors that are considered inappropriate
7 Levels of Conflict
- 1. No conflict
- 2. latent conflict
- 3. problems to solve
- 4. dispute
- 5. help
- 6. fight or flight
- 7. intractability
5 types of dealing with conflict
- conflict avoidance
- conflict accomodation
- conflict compromise
- conflict competition
- conflict integration
the act of bargaining to reach an agreement
- when a third party handles the conflict.
- doesn't involve a judge or jury
- both parties agree beforehand that they will agree to the conclusion
- involves presenting evidence to a judge
- handled by lawyers
when a neutral person facilitates communication between the two parties