The content of the piece or the heart of the message.
internal structure or logical pattern
Ex: cronological, 5 paragraph, or procedure
Soul of the piece; writer's personality shines through
Feelings and convictions
Rich colorful language that mocves and enlightens the reader.
Use better words, not bigger words; sensory words (J. K. Rowling)
- Flow of the language, pleasing to the ear, not just eye;
- varied beginnings
(Have students highlight the beginning of all sentences to show if they used varied beginnings)
Level of correctness following the standard rule of English; MUGS/CUPS
The format and layout
Four advantages of trait-based writing
- 1. You can assess traits independently
- 2. Able to communicate effectively about strenghts and weaknesses.
- 3. Clearly defines good writing
- 4. Provides useful feedback
The difference between revising and editing
Revising: repetitive process (add, delete, move things around)
Editing: fixing things and following standard rules of English
What is focused revision?
Taking an idea and movingit along; Use one trait at a time
Personal narrative, poetry, dramatic piece, real or imaginary.
To inform or explain, summarizes idea or content. Contains thesis and based on research.
Writing used in real life.
Ex: Tech manual, product information, prcedures
To construct an argument. purpose is to influence the reader.
What is the link between reading and writing?
The more you read the better writer you are.
What are the reasons for teaching grammar?
To decode, to read, and to become a stronger writer.
What are strategies for choosing writing topics?
Based on interest, age, ability and curriculum.
How to create a learning environment that supports teaching and learning writing?
- Safe environment
- Writing center
- Model good writing skills
- Word wall
- Make dictionaries and thesaurus avalible
How does using literature to encourage growth in literacy?
- Increase vocabulary
- To get them interesed
- Introduce them to quality literature
- Exposure to different ideas/cultures
Teaching strategy for Idea
- Rewrite a fairytale
- R.A.F.T.S: Role of the writer, Audience for the piece of writing, Format of the material, Topic or subject, and Strong verbs.
- Use writing prompts
Teaching strategy for Organization
- Share examples of beginnings form literature
- Use an outline to teach middle of papers
- Share examples of endings from liteature
Teaching strategy for Voice
- Use different versions of the same song. ("Hey Jude")
- Hear voice in liteature
- Tell story from the POV of character in fairytale
Teaching strategy for Word Choice
- Paint a picture with words
- Describe it, then build it: 1st student builds something, then describes it to 2nd student to rebuild.
- Expand small phrases to bigger ones.
Teaching strategy for Sentence Fluency
- Read aloud to self
- Write words to classical music
- Draw box around sentences
Teaching strategy for Conventions
- Find errors in published writings
- Act out "Schoolhouse Rock" videos
- Remove all conventions and have students put punctuation back in
Teaching strategy for Presentation
Rate presentation of published writing