semantics- word meaning, figurative speech
Pragmatics- social, choosing conversation topics, conversational space, contributing to conversations
- Phonology- phonemes, phonological rules
- Morphosyntax- morphemes, syntactic rules
- When a language disorder affects the child's social and academic functioning (does the child have a disorder judging based on everyday life and functioning?)
- Problem: subjective judgment
- The child scores significantly below expectations on a normative test
- Problems with assessment instruments, what is significantly below varies by institution
Categorical (etiological) model
- Problem is an underlying disorder in the child, which prevents/impedes the child learning
- trisomy 21 (down syndrome)
- hearing loss
- fetal alcohol syndrome disorder (FASD)
Categorical model locus of problem
results from some specific underlying disorder within the child or in the environments within which the child lives
Categorical assessment should..
be structured to determine what the underlying disorder is - ie, to determine the etiological reasons for the child's difficulties
Categorical intervention should..
use knowledge about the disorder category during goal setting - what is the core deficit here that needs to be remediated?
Developmental descriptive model
issue is child's functional skill level, irrespective of etiology