- 1. Diffusion
- Movement of particles from a high to a low concentration.
- This movement is caused by particle collision.
Example - crowded elevator
- 1a. osmosisThe movement of water from a high concentration to a low concentration across a membrane.
- - Osmosis is diffusion of water.
- - Water can move across the membrane.
- Solution - defined as water and solutes
- Solutes - stuff other than water
- Solutes may not be able to move across the membrane.
To determine which way water will move, we compare the concentration of solutes on the inside and the outside of the cell.