- temporary inactivity, cessation, or suspension
- 1. a cleansing with water or other liquid, esp. as a religious ritual.
- 2. the washing of the hands, body, etc.
- 1. hard to understand; recondite; esoteric
- 2.Obsolete. secret; hidden
- 1.expert or nimble in the use of the hands or body.
- 2. cleverly skillful, resourceful
a terse saying embodying a general truth, or astute observation
- 1. inclined; disposed; given; prone
- 2. likely
- 3. unusually intelligent; able to learn quickly and easily
- 1. great warmth of feeling; fervor; passion
- 2.intense devotion, eagerness, or enthusiasm; zeal
- 1. an appointment for a meeting, esp. a lover's secret rendezvous.
- 2. the act of assigning; assignment.
insatiable greed for riches; inordinate, miserly desire to gain and hoard wealth.
indecent; lewd; obscene
inclined or eager to fight; aggressively hostile; belligerent; pugnacious.
to soil; tarnish; discolor.
a woman's bedroom or private sitting room.
to grow or develop quickly; flourish
- 1. to engage in a drunken revel
- 2. to drink deeply and frequently.
capable of burning, corroding, or destroying living tissue.
- characterized by, done in, or executed with secrecy or concealment,
- esp. for purposes of subversion or deception; private or surreptitious
a feeling of uneasiness or anxiety of the conscience caused by regret for doing wrong or causing pain; contrition; remorse.
a destructive fire, usually an extensive one.
- 1. artfully or affectedly shy or reserved; slyly hesitant; coquettish.
- 2. shy; modest.
- 3. showing reluctance, esp. when insincere or affected, to reveal one's plans or opinions, make a commitment, or take a stand
amusing in an odd way; whimsically humorous
- not following any one system, as of philosophy, medicine, etc., but
- selecting and using what are considered the best elements of all
a castrated man, esp. one formerly employed by Oriental rulers as a harem guard or palace official.
pretended; sham; counterfeit:
strikingly bold; conspicuously dashing and colorful
a minor weakness or failing of character; slight flaw or defec
- causing fear, apprehension, or dread
- of discouraging or awesome strength, size, difficulty, etc.; intimidating
taken, done, used, etc., surreptitiously or by stealth; secret
a general discharge or outpouring of anything, like maybe firearms
to express a servile attitude;to bend the knee or touch one knee to the floor in reverence or worship.
- 1. the remote or less developed parts of a country; back country
- 2. the area of land behind a coastal region
lacking variety; boring; dull
quality or condition of being inept
inertness, esp. with regard to effort, motion, action, and the like; inactivity; sluggishness
- 1. of or pertaining to conflict or struggle within a group
- 2. mutually destructive
annoying; irritating; exasperating; tiresome
inclined to lustfulness; wanton; lewd
bending readily; pliant; limber; supple; flexible
- 1. gruesome and horrifying; ghastly; horrible.
- 2. of, pertaining to, dealing with, or representing death, esp. its grimmer or uglier aspect.
generous in forgiving an insult or injury; free from petty resentfulness or vindictiveness
- 1. to chew
- 2. to reduce to a pulp by crushing or kneading, as rubber
taking or showing extreme care about minute details; precise; thorough
- 1. wealth, riches, or affluence
- 2. abundance, as of resources or goods; plenty.
- 1.a film or incrustation, usually green, produced by oxidation on the
- surface of old bronze and often esteemed as being of ornamental value.
- 2. a similar film or coloring appearing gradually on some other substance.
- 1. ostentatious in one's learning
- 2. overly concerned with minute details or formalisms, esp. in teaching.
to be diffused through; pervade; saturate
a deadly or virulent epidemic disease.
brief, forceful, and meaningful in expression; full of vigor, substance, or meaning; terse; forcible
utterly and shamelessly immoral or dissipated; thoroughly dissolute.
a landing place, esp. one of solid masonry, constructed along the edge of a body of water; wharf.
the most perfect embodiment of something.
- 1. the ninth month of the Muslim calendar
- 2. the daily fast that is rigidly enjoined from dawn until sunset during this month.
- 1. having a pleasant odor; fragrant.
- 2. odorous or smelling
a round of fire given as a salute
- 1. of, characteristic of, or resembling a serpent, as in form or movement.
- 2. having a winding course, as a road; sinuous
the state of being solicitous; anxiety or concern
- 1. morally ignoble or base; vile
- 2. dirty or filthy; squalid
foul and repulsive, as from lack of care or cleanliness; neglected and filthy
to bring under complete control or subjection; conquer; master.
full of juice; juicy
luxuriously fine or large; lavish; splendid
reckless boldness; rashness.
- 1. slow; dull; apathetic; lethargic
- 2. inactive or sluggish.
1. oppressively hot, parching, or burning, as climate, weather, or air.
- 1. an unguent or ointment; salve.
- 2. something soothing or comforting
to seize and hold (a position, office, power, etc.) by force or without legal righ
- 1. a state of indecision or irresolution
- 2. unsteady movement; fluctuation
- 1. done, shown, used, etc., maliciously or unjustifiably
- 2. deliberate and without motive or provocation; uncalled-for; headstrong; willfu