Recognize the four tensions between the Eastern and Western churches’ beliefs that caused the Schism of1054. For each tension, recognize the Eastern and Western churches’ beliefs. (Sect. 24, especially 24.2)
Tensions between the Eastern and Western branches of Christendom that caused theschism
- 1. Language (rites, Bible, etc.)
- 2. “Filioque Clause” (lit, “and the Son”)
- 3. The use of images in worship
- 4. The primacy of the Roman Bishop (over that of church councils)
Language(rites, Bible, etc.)
Uses Latin-text Bible Looks to popes for Biblicalinterpretation & belief(This was a highly polarizingissue between West and East) More pragmatic faith
Uses Greek-text Bible Looks to early Church Fathers forBiblical interpretation and belief More philosophical faith
Filioque Clause(“and the Son”)
Western The Holy Spirit proceeds from theFather and the Son.(They put this in the creed and thePope agreed.)
- The Holy Spirit proceeds from the Fatheronly. The Bible does not say, “and theSon.” Use of images asaids in worship
Encouraged use of images, includingstatues & icons.
- Discouraged use of images, except icons.Primacy of the Roman bishop (Pope)
The Roman bishop has primacy(authority over the church).
- Church councils have primacy.