Water performs a variety of vital functions. What are they?
- *shape and rigidity of cells
- *regulate body temperature
- *Cushions body tissues
- *transports nutrients and waste products
- *solvent for glucose, aa, minerals and protiens and other molecules
- *source of trace minerals
- *Chemical reactions tha join small molecules together or break apart large ones, and helps maintain acid/base balance
What is the adequate water intake recommendation for men? women?
What is the minimum amount of water needed?
What is the average I & O for a 24 hr period?
What is the minimum amount of urine output desired to indicate healthy functioning kidneys?
What is the best source of water?
What are other sources of water, besides drinking water?
- *milk, fruit juice, soup
- *some fruits and veggies have 85-95% water such as: watermelon, grapes, oranges, lettuce, tomatoes, and zuccini
- *soft drinks can be added, but are high in solutes
What are three examples of diuretics?
coffee, tea and alcohol
How much of total fluid output is excreted as urine per day?
What are examples of sensible fluid losses that can be measured?
- *wound discharge
What are insensible fluid losses that can't be measured or seen?
- *lungs on respiration