What is the Supereme law of the land?
What does the Constitution do?
1. sets up the government
2. defines the government
3. protects basic rights of Americans
The idea of self-government is in the first three words of the Constitution. What are these words?
We the People
What is an amendment?
1. a change (to the Constitution)
2. an addition (to the Constion)
What do we call the first ten amendments to the Constitution?
the Bill of Rights
What is one right or freedom from the First Amendment?*
5. petition the government
How many amendments does the Constitution have?
What did the Declaration of Independence do?
1. announced our independence from Great Britain
2. declared our indpenedence from Great Britain
3. said that the U.S is free from Great Britain
What are two rights in the Declaration of Independence?
3. pursuit of happiness
What is freedom of religion?
You can practice any religion or not practice a religion.
What is the economic system in the United States?*
Capitalist economy & Market economy
What is the "rule of law"?
1. Everyone must follow the law
2. Leaders must obey the law
3. Government must obey the law
4. No one is above the Law
Name one branch or part of the government.*
5. The Courts
What stops one branch from becoming too powerful?
1. Checks & Balances
2. Seperation of powers
Who is in charge of the executive branch?
Who makes federal laws?
2. Senate & House of Representatives
3. U.S. or national legislature
What are the two parts of the U.S. Congress*
the Senate & House of Representatives
How many U.S. Senators are there?
We elect a U.S. Senator for how many years?
Who is one of your state's U.S. Senators now?* (California)
The House of Representatives has how many voting members?
We elect a U.S. Representative for how many years?
Name your U.S. Representative. (California)
Who does a U.S. Senator represent?
all people of the state
Why do some states have more Representatives than other states?
1. because of the state's population
2. because they have more people
3. because some states have more people
We elect a President for house many years?
In what month do we vote for President?*
What is the name of the President of the United States now?*
What is the name of the Vice President of the United States Now?
Joseph R. Biden, Jr. (Joe Biden)
If the President can no longer serve, who becomes President?
the Vice President
If both the President & the Vice President can no longer serve, who becomes President?
the Speaker of the House
Who is the Commander in Chief of the military?
Who signs bills to become laws?
What does the President's Cabinet do?
advises the President
Who Vetoes bills?
What are two Cabinet-level positions?
Agriculture, Commerece, Defense, Education, Energy, Health & Human Services, Homeland Security, Housing & Urban Development, the Interior, Labor, State, Transportation, the Tresury, Veterans Affairs, -Attorney General, -Vice President
What does the judicial branch do?
1. reviews laws
2. explains laws
3. resolves disputes (disagreements)
4. decides if a law goes against the Constitution
What is the higest court in the United States?
the Supreme Court
How many justices are there on the Supreme Court?
Who is the Chief Justice of the United States now?
John Roberts (John G. Roberts, Jr.)
Under our Constitution, some powers belong to the federal government, What is one power of the federal government?
1. to print money
2. to declare war
3. to create an army
4. to make treaties
Under our Constitution, some powers belong to the states. What is one power of the states?
1. provide schooling & education
2. provide protection (police)
3. provide safety (fire departments)
4. give a driver's license
5. approve zoning & land use
Who is the Govenor of your state now? (California)
What is the Capital of your state?* (California)
What are two major political parties in the United States?*
Democratic & Republican
What is the political party of the President now?
(Barack Obama, is a member of the Democratic Party)
What is the name of the Speaker of the House of Representatives now?
There are four amendments to the Constitution about who can vote. Describe one of them.
1. Citizens eighteen (18) & older can vote.
2. You don't have to pay (a poll tax) to vote
3. Any citizen can vote. (Women & men can vote)
4. A male citizen of any race can vote.
What is one responsibility that is only for United States citizens?*
1. serve on a jury
2. vote in a federal election
Name one right only for United States citizens.
1. vote in a federal election
2. run for federal office
What are two rights of everyone living in the United States?
1. freedom of expression
2. freedom of speech
3. freedom of assembly
4. freedom to petition the government
5. freedom of worship
6. the right to bear arms
What do we show loyalty to when we say the Pledge of Allegiance?
1. the United States
2. the flag
What is one promise you make when you become a United States citizen?
1. give up loyalty to other countries
2. defend the Constitution and laws of the United States
3. obey the lwas of the United States
4. serve in the U.S. military (if needed)
5. serve the nation (if needed)
6. be loyal to the United States
How old do citizens have to be to vote for president?*
18 years and older
What are two ways that Americans can participate in their democracy?
2. join a political party
3. help with a campaign
4. join a civic group
5. join a community group
6. give an elected offficial your opinion on an issue
7. call Senators & Representatives
8. publicly support or oppose an issue or policy
9. run for office
10. wrrite to a newspaper
When is the last day you can send in federal income tax forms?*
When must all men register for the Selective Service?
1. at age 18
2. between eighteen (18) & twenty-six (26)
What is one reason colonists came to America?
freedom, political liberty, relgious freedom, economic opportunity, practice their religion, escape persecution
Who lived in America before the Europeans arrived?
What group of people was taken to America & sold as slaves?
2. people from Africa
Why did colonists fight the British?
1. because of high taxes (taxation without representation)
2. because the British army stayed in their houses (boarding, quartering)
3. because they didn't have self-government
Who wrote the Declaration of Independence?
When was the Declaration of Independence adopted?
July 4, 1776
There were 13 original states. Name three.
New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia
What happened at the Constitutional Convention?
1. the Constitution was written
2. the founding fathers wrote the Constitution
When was the Constitution written?
The Federalist Papers supported the passage of the U.S. Constitution. Name one of the writers.
1. James Madison
2. Alexander Hamilton
3. John Jay
What is one thing Benjamin Franklin is famous for?
1. U.S. diplomat
2. oldest member of the Constitutional Convention
3. first postmaster General of the U.S.
4. writer of "Poor Richard's Almanac"
5. Started the first free libraries
Who is the "Father of Our Country"?
Who was the first President?*
What territory did the United States buy from France in 1803?
Name one war fought by the United States in the 1800's.
1. War of 1812
2. Mexican-American War
3. Civil War
4. Spanish-American War
Name the U.S. war between the North & the South.
1. the Civil War
2. the War between the States
Name one problem that led to the Civil War.
2. economic reasons
3. states' rights
What was on important thing that Abraham Lincoln did?*
1. freed the slaves (Emancipation Proclamation)
2. saved (or preserved) the union
3. led the United States during the Civil war
What did the Emancipation Proclamation do?
1. freed the slaves
2. freed slaves in the Confederacy
3. freed slaves in the confederate states
4. freed slaves in most Southern states
What did Susan B. Anthony do?
1. Fought for women's rights
2. fought for civil rights
Name one war fought by the United States in the 1900's.*
1. World War I
2. Worold War II
3. Korean War
4. Vietnam War
5. (Persian) Gulf War
Who was President during World War I?
Who was President during the Great Depression & World War II?
Who did the United States fight in World War II?
Japan, Germany, & Italy
Before he was President, Eisenhower was a general. What war was he in?
World War II
During the Cold War, what was the main concern of the United States?
What movement tried to end racial discrimination?
Civil rights movement
What did Martin Luther King, Jr. do?*
1. fought for civil rights
2. worked for equality for all Americans
What major event happened on September 11, 2001, in the United States?
Terrorists attacked the United States
Name one American Indian tribe in the United States.
Cherokee, Cheyenne, Navajo, Arawak, Sioux, Shawnee, Chippewa, Mohegan, Choctaw, Huron, Pueblo, Oneida, Apache, Lakota, Iroquois, Crow, Creek, Teton, Blackfeet, Hopi, Seminole, Inuit
Name one of the two longest rivers in the United States.
1. Missouri River
2. Mississippi River
What ocean is on the West Coast of the United States?
What ocean is on the East Coast of the United States?
Name one U.S. territory.
1. Puerto Rico
2. U.S. Virgin Islands
3. American Samoa
4. Northern Mariana Islands
Name one state that borders Canada.
Main, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Alaska
Name one state that borders Mexico.
California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas
What is the capital of the United States?*
Where is the Statue of Liberty?*
1. New York Harbor
2. Liberty Island
[Also acceptable are New Jersey, near New York City, and on the Hudson River.]
Why does the flag have 13 stripes?
1. because there were 13 origian colonies
2. because the stripes represenst the original colonies
Why does the flag have 50 stars?*
because there are 50 states
What is the name of the national anthem?
The Star-Spangeled Banner
When do we celebrate Independence Day?*
Name two national U.S. holidays.
New Year's Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Presidents' Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas