What is an open procedure in which the jt capsule is incised and jt structures are exposed?
- jt replacement
- internal fixation
- soft tissue repair and reconstruction
What is an arthroscopy?
- several small incisions into the skin, muscle, and jt capsule for insertion of an endoscope into the jt
- *most minimally invasive
- minimal disturbance of the soft tissue
When do muscle repairs occur?
- 48-72 hrs after the injury
- immobilization, m. setting, AROM after immob. removed, usually WBing restictions
- low intensity within pain-free range
- NO eccentrics
What is he removal of the synovium (jt lining), done open or with a scope?
- chronic inflammation of the jt
- m. setting
What is an osteotomy?
surgical cutting or realignment of bone
- severe arthritis, severe pain/deformity
- immob. internally, externally or both
- if casted-AROM jts above or below
What is a surgical fusion of jt with pins, nails, plates, etc?
severe jt pain or instability
What is an arthroplasty?
- reconstructive jt procedure with or without jt implant
- typically a jt replacement (THR, TKR)
- partial or total
- cement or bio-ingrowth for younger
What repairs defects in hyaline?
articular cartilage implantation
- grown then implanted
- rehab is slow
- early PROM, protected WBing