The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Insecticides- horrible for us, must have license to use, poisoning from this is common.
- Add a gene to make cotton resistant to bull worm without spraying pesticide.
- Trait- insect resistant.
- BT Cotton- soil microorganisms (bacteria) inserted this into a cotton plant now the cotton grows up and the bull worm cant eat it.
- Can no longer spray
- Engineer a plant for this
- Glyphosate-round up
- Weeds grow either have to till them up or spray round up.
- Round up will kill any plant- non toxic to humans- gone within a day
- Make crop resistant to round up so you can spray on the field
- They added glyphosate (round up) resistance trait
- People who eat tons of rice lack vitamin A
- Added genes from other plants which contribute to an increases vitamin A in rice
Adapt to Local Conditions
- Lots of flat land around the world cannot be farmed on
- Many people are going hungry because of this
- Women needed to develop a sweet potato to fight certain bugs
- Now they plant this certain sweet potato so the bugs cant eat it and there is enough for the children and some to sell
Health Concerns to GM crops
- When you dont understand something it scares you
- Many people have health concerns
- 19 years since we have been eating GM crops and there has not been one case of someone getting hurt from it
- GM crops have to be certified safe by EFA, Food and Drug Administration, Us Department of Agriculture
- Have to pass a test saying they are not toxic, cannot cause allergic reaction, cannot be nutritionally deficient
Environmental Concerns to GM Crops
- Harmful to non-target organisms- Something other than the one you are trying to treat.
- Butterflies dying because of spray to kill certain bugs.
- But they put it in a real situation and they chose other foods so they didnt die.
Become resistant to the BT
- What if pollen from this plant goes to a non genetically modified plant, yes possible
- When you plant GM plants must have a buffer in between plants
- Also working on getting modified plants not in the pollen
Transgenic Animals- Livestock
- One reason you might GM an animal would be for leaner meat
- Aqua Bounty- GM a salmon that grows to market size in half the time.
- Dont end up bigger just grow faster.
- Feed them less cause they digest better.
- Almost ready for market
Transgenic Animals- Medical Uses
- Putting human immune system genes in pigs then being able to transplant them to humans
- Many humans die each year waiting for transplants
- Lab animals dont get a lot of diseases, when testing new treatments must do it on humans