Demylination. Muscle spasic Paralysis
Multiple Sclerosis Medication
- Betaseron or Avonex reduce exacerbations and delay disability.
- Steroids ACTH prednisone given toe decrease inflammation and edema of the neurons.
Weakness of the voluntary or skeletal muscles of the body
Myasthenia Gravis Test
- Ptosis Test= pt looks up for 2-3min. if eyelids droop positive for MG
- Tenilon test= injection to the eyes if they regain strength positive for MG. short lived.
- EMG to rule others diseases out
Myasthenia Gravis medication
- Cholinergic crisis is when too much of the medications is given.
- Resulting in
- S salivation,
- L lacrimation,
- U urination,
- D diarrhea,
- G gastrointestinal crampin,
- E emesis.
Education on how to take Prostigmin ALWAYS PO for Myasthenia Gravis
teach pt about the peak of the medication and they to should take early enough so it peaks when they are most active so they dont tire easily.
Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis( AKA) Lou Gehrig's disease
degenerative conditions that affects motor neurons responsible for the contro of voluntary muscles. Life expectancy 2-5yrs few live as long as 20yrs
- Acute inflammatory POLYNEUROPATHY.
- Ascending begins in the legs and ascends up the body. where respiratory function becomes compromised.
- Descending less common originate in the brainstem first. then traveling downward toward the legs. resp pompromise rapid.
Affects survivors of the polio 20-40yrs after they have recovered from the infection not life threatining
Trigeminal Neuralgia (5TH CRANIAL NERVE)
Pain is felt in the skin on one side of the face. slight touch, cold breeze, talking, or chewing can trigger attacks of pain.DON'T TOUCH FACE/ Baclofen (relax muscles, reduce pain) can help. Pt wont eat or drink hot or cold things... TOO MUCH PAIN..........
Cranial nerve V11 affected inflamed and edematous, causing interruption of the nerve impulses. More common in immune disorders such as HIV, diabetes and women in the third trimester of pregnancy.2/3 of tongue can't taste. eyepatch and ointment must be given if this is the part of the face that is affected..