Side effects of anti-psych meds
- Acute dystonia
- Tardive dyskinesia
- Neuroleptic malignant syn
- + Prolactin (dopamine blockade)
Time periods for diagnosing psychotic diseases
- 1 month = acute psychotic disorder
- 1 to 6 months = schizophreniform disorder
- > 6 months = schizophrenia
Schizophrenia Negative Symptoms
Rx for mania
- First line: Lithium and Valproic Acid
- Second line: Carbamazepine, Olanzapine, Gabapentin
Side effects of lithium
- Renal dysfunction
- Thyroid dysfunction
- CNS effects at high levels
Side effects of Valproic acid?
Side effects of carbamazepine?
Bone marrow depression
Clozapine use and side effects
- Use: Schizophrenia
- SE: Agranulocytosis
What are the side effects of atypical antipsychotic medications?
- Weight gain
First line medications for Schizophrenia?
What are the four categories for anti-depressants
- MAOI (rarely used except with atypical depression)
Name two TCA's with Side Effects.
- Nortryptiline, Amitriptyline
- SE: hypotension, dizziness, fall; sedation, lower seizure threshold
Name two SSRI and SE.
- Fluoxetine, Paroxetine
- SE: insomnia, anorexia, sexual dysfunction
Name two MAOI and SE.
- Phenelzine, Tranylcypromine
- SE: HTN with wine and cheese, other SE
Name SE of trazadone
Rx for specific phobias?
Rx for Agitation?
Lorazepam or Haloperidol
Rx for catatonic Schizo?
Benzodiazepines or ECT
First line Rx for Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- 2nd line are Benzos
Rx for Delerium Tremens?
Criteria for hospitalizing anorexic patient?
- Lyte disturbances
- Cardiac arrhythmias
- Physiologic Instability
- Severe Malnutrition (75% of ideal body weight)
What is Buproprion used for? What is an added SE?
- Helps stop smoking
Name three benzodiazapines.
- ..azepams (Clonazepam, Diazepam, Lorazepam, etc)