What type of tissues are you manipulting while giving a massage?
What are some purposes of massage?
- aid in general or local relaxation
- relieve pain
- treat edema
- treat lesions of muscles, ligaments, and tendons (adhesions-tightness)
What are some effects of massage?
mechanical - increses ROM, get muscles ready
physiological - relieving pain, increase blood and lymph (edema), excite nervous tissue, resp. system
psychological - relaxation, well-being from touch
What does therapeutic massage not increase?
muscle strength or tone
What type of massge is like gliding (light fingertip touch)?
What type of massage is like a kneading, squeezing, or rolling?
What 2 types of massage is normally used for respiratory conditions (pounding, karate chop, punch)?
tapotement, vibrating (shaking hands)
What type of massage uses compression to get deep and loosen adhesions and decrease scarring?
Who developed cross friction (massaging opposite of muscle fiber direction)?
loosens adhesions, scars
What are treatment considerations for massage?
- physical contact
- personal apperance and hygiene
- body mechanics and hygiene
- explain patient
- maintain contact with pt one tx starts
- strokes toward venous return(toward heart)
- rae of movement - lymph-viscuous
What are some indications for massage?
- relief of pain, spasm, edema
- relief of viscural dysfunction (not PT)
- scar tissue - always massage once healed
- increase local circulation
- increase mobility
- muscle/ligament strain/sprain
- prior to sporting event
- bed ridden patient
What are some contraindications for massage?
- hemorrhage sites
- malignant growth at site
- obstructive edema
- new suture sites
- hypermobile joint segment
- acute rheumatological conditions
- inflammatory skin conditions
Who is the person known for myofascial release?