Generalized Anxiety Disorder
Prolonged vague but intense fears, not attached to any particular object or circumstance
related to cleanliness
Acute, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- brought on by traumatic event
- hold onto feelings from event, feel like relive it
Real physical illness largely caused by psychological factors, stress anxiety.
An apparent physical illness, no organic base
Dramatic physical disability
think they show symptoms of non existent disease
Body Dysmorphic Disorder
- Imagined Uglyness go extreme to alter appearance.
- ex: Micheal Jackson.
- Provide ppl w/ a better awareness and understanding of their feelings and motivations and actions
- Client-Centered Therapy
- Gestalt Therapy
Therapists vs. Counselors
Counselors deal with every day stress.
a therapist who uses all therapy. chooses one that fits the person best. Not eccletic use only one.
- Freud. Person doesn't know, unconsious, what is causing issue.
- Hidden feelings & motives are made consious for better adaptation.
Talk freely to silent clientitan.
- Carl Rogers
- Calls for unconditional positive regard.
- True acceptance regardless of actions
- Non direct, more like a mentor
- To help people be more genuine in day to day interactions.
- focus on here and now, and whole person
- Active and direct therapy
- Empty chair technique
- put anger in chair and talk to him
- Focus on behavior changer, rather than insights
- Belief that all behavior is learned
- Maladaptive behavior themselves ar the focus of the therapy
Common Techniques Association b/w stimuli and behavior