The whig candidate who had NO political background and owned slaves in Louisiana.
Free Soil Party(:
- Candidate:Martin Van Buren
- planned to throw the election into the House of Representatives by not diluting the votes and not allowing a popular majority
- slogan; “Free soil, free speech, free labor, free men”
- didn’t want slavery in new territories because it would cause competition with white laborers
- Democratic candidate.
- Michigan Senator.
- did not take a stand on slavery issue.
- supported the doctrine of popular sovereignty which stated that the people of the territories, not Congress, should decide the issue of slavery.