Restless Leg Syndrome
- leg paresthesias with an irresistible urge to move
- associated with peripheral and central nerve damage in legs and spinal cord
- family history/possible genetic basis
- vitamin deficiencies, advanced age, smoking, lack of exercise, pinched nerve, obesity, caffeine and alcohol possible causes
Restless Leg Syndrome-assessment
- intense burning sensations in legs and need to move them repeatedly.
- worse in evening and at night when still for long time
- refer to themselves as "night walkers"
Restless Leg Syndrome-interventions & non surgical treatment
- avoid caffeine and alcohol
- quit smoking
- lose weight
Restless Leg Syndrome-drug therapy
- dopamine agonists (Mirapex, Requip)
- AED's: carbamazepine and gabapentin