What are some influencing factors from the history of nursing?
- Some influencing factors from the history of nursing include:
- Society's beliefs regarding the cause of illness
- Value placed upon individual life
- Role of women in society
Describe the prehistoric times from nursing history.
- During prehistorical civilization, there were spiritual leaders that were responsible for care.
- There were no hospitals because all the care was being done in the home.
Describe the ancient civilizations from nursing history.
- Much variation depending on civilization.
- Care done in temples, "ambulatory clinics", and "hospitals"
- Religion was still a huge factor during this time
Describe the medieval times from nursing history.
- Religious and secular orders
- Devotion to duty
- Started to see the nursing role early on.
- Hospitals were in monasteries where men/women took care of people by focusing on the soul rather than trying to take care of the actual illness.
- They used cutting open, lycheeing, bandaging.
- Cleanliness and duty was the main focus.
- Bathing and keeping hygiene helped the infection rate.
- Nurses taught one another... whoever was the best was the one teaching the next.
Describe the military time from nursing history.
- There were a lot of sick and injured soldiers during the Crusades.
- There were soldier nurses who would wear a suit of armor to protect themselves and wear a red cross so that people knew they were there to help.
Describe the Renaissance period from nursing history.