What mechanism category do the following belong: Cimetidine, Famotidine, Nizatidine, and Ranitidine?
H-2 Antagonists (Reduces GI acid)
What mechanism category do the following belong: Esomeprazole, Lansoprozole, Omeprazole, Pantoprazole and Rabeprozole?
Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs): "Prazoles"
What are the common dentally significant adverse effects for both H-2 antags. and PPIs?
- HA and GI are the primary effects for both
- *but drug INTX w/dental drugs fluconazole and Triazolam*
What are the dental tx impacts for H-2 antagonists?
- All dec. absorption of Ketoconazole, but not Fluconazole
- Cimetidine: dec clearance of BZDPs, Lidocaine, Carbamazepine, and Metronidazole
What are the dental tx impacts for PPIs?
- All dec ketoconazole absorption
- Clarithromycin inc Omeprazole
- Omeprazole and Rabeprazole inc the 1/2 life of Diazepam and Triazolam
What is an indicator of more severe GI disease?
- NSAIDS will aggravate GERD
- PPIs indicate more severe GI disease.
What are PPIs known to inhibit?
Ca, Mg, and Vit B-12 absorption from food