CNS Stimulants effects
- Speeds up the central nervous system.
- - heart rate accelerates
- - blood pressure rises
- - motor activity increases
- - adrenaline increases
- - good feeling, excited
- - mild state of stress
What is caffeinism?
Chronic intoxication or poisiong
What are Xanthines?
Alkaloid that occurs in kola plants.
- Made of Xanthines
- -Diuretic- speeds up urine production
- -Vasoconstriction of blood vessels- narrowing of blood vessels
- -Withdrawal headaches (mood changes, anxiety, poor sleep
Types of Amphetamines (Stimulant)
- All end with drine. Benzedrine, Dexedrine, Methedrine, and Methamphetamine
What are the different types of Methamphetamine?
Meth-crystal, Crank, and Speed.
What schedule are Amphetamines? and what are the medical uses?
Schedule II Drug
- Treat depression, control narcolepsy symptoms, control ADHD, and to prevent sleep in active duty environments.
- ex. Benzedrine and Dexedrine
Non-purposeful repetitious, compulsive, behavior
Hallucinations of things such as bugs, insects, or people that are not real
What is ice? how long does it last? what does it cause?
- Smokeable ice-looking form of methamphetamine.
- Can last 7-20 hours.
- Causes extreme psychosis, paranoia, deep depression, and convulsions during overdose.
- Schedule I drug
- Tasteless, odorless, and colorless.
- Causes euphoria and visual hallucinations
- Causes Synethesia- blending of the senses.
- First Phase- release of tension and feel good, 2 hours.
- Second Phase- distortion, hallucination and delusions
- Third Phase- time distortion of past, present and future
- *most powerful synthetic hallucinogen
- -Panic (can't turn drug off)
- -Flashbacks and perception disorder later on
- -Accidental Death from strange behaviors
- -Psychosis severe mental health problem
- *Psychological first aid- keep person calm, watch then, provide help if needed.
Mescaline is from...
- The Peyote Cactus
- -creates visual distortions
Psilocybin is from...
- A mexican mushroom.
- creates visual hallucinations for 4-5 hours
- Schedule I drug
- Very short acting hallucinogen
- 1985 it was classified as a Schedule I Drug (illegal)
- Drug Classification: Hallucinogenic Amphetamine
- Causes extreme release of serotonin and possible damage to neurons..
- Problems with Abuse;
- Dehydration, Increased Body Temperature (Hyperthermia), Seizures
Phencyclidine (PCP) "Angel Dust"
- Is a Dissociative Anesthetic (makes you insensitive to pain)
- Schedule I Drug
- Stimulant effect then zombie like effect
- Nystagmus (jiggling of eyeballs)
- Causes extreme disorientation, feeling of invicibility, and gives a high pain threshold
Types of Marijuanna and its strength
- Bhang- weak
- Gangja- poor quality
- Charas- best quality
What is the active ingredient in marijuana?
- Fat soluble- can stay in system for weeks
- Often causes Amotivational syndrome
- Effects on Body;
- impaired memory, increases heart rate, dialates blood vessels, chronic bronchial irritation, precancerous changes of lungs, reduces testosterone levels and sperm count
- Medical uses;
- Glaucoma treatment
- Controls nausea from cancer treatment
- Stimulates appetite (Cancer and Aids)
- urine, blood, hair samples
Building up of testosterone
producing male characteristics
Causes Cardiovascular disease from the constriction of blood vessels.
Carcinogen causing lung cancer
Reduces blood cell ability to carry oxygen
Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease
Destroys the elasticity of air sacs