Types of Mass Medium
Process through which information is filtered for dissemination, be it publication, broadcasting, internet, or other communication
Major challenger to traditional media outlets
Internet, with respect to gatekeeping functions
Original purpose of news on internet
- To gain access to print media stories
- Just replicated print stories
When was first time internet news beat traditional media?
The Lewinski/Clinton affair, 1998
"Birth" of bloggers was when...?
When Trent Lott had to resign in 2002
Bloggers v. "Traditional" Media
Traditional-neutral and detached tone, try to give an objective view of news
Blogs-personalized and opinionated tone, evolve over time, and can be supplemented by blog readers
T/F: Internet is viewed as a credible source now.
What makes internet media unique?
- hyperlinks connect websites
- can provide much more context
- provides much wider perspective
Who coined the term "Global Village"?
Marshall McLuhan, 1962
Define: Global Village
World had "shrunk" due to technology and the interconnectedness of internet. Turned from world into a localized village
The "Media Ecological View" refers to...
how interpersonal communication is altered when moving from a face-to-face comm to computer-mediated comm
What is FTF communication?
What is CMC communication?
What is a downside to virtual communities?
Easier for people to be deceptive
Different deceptions in virtual communities
- Identity Theft
Hostile and insulting interaction through internet
Mass media has been replacing interpersonal comm as what?
A socializing force
Mass media has developed what in terms of a community?
A pseudo community
Mass media also creates the allusion of FTF comm called what?
A para-social relationship
An example of social media
Define: Social Media
An "umbrella" concept that descrbves social software and social networking
What is a major way people meet and interact with each other/
Social media can be seen as ____________ media.
Define: Social Capital
The cooperation between two or more individuals
Six ways to conceptualize an "electronic presence"
- Social richness (channels of comm)
- Presence as visual realism (computer graphics)
- Presence as transportation (travelign across space)
- Presence as immersion (perceptual space)
- Presence as a social actor within a medium (avatars and actions)
- Presence as a medium as a social actor (anthropomorphism of technology)
/What is the number one human fear?
What is McLuhan's idea of "The Medium is the Message"?
- The channel of the comm influences the substance of the comm
- The media manipulates how we see ourselves, others, society, and the world
Define: Hot Media
Provide relatively complete sensory data-fosters passivity
Ex: radio, printed materials, photos
Define: Cool Media
These demand involvement from audience
Ex:Telephone, FTF interaction
Define: Mass Media
Channels of amss communication--the means of transmitting messages to broad audiences
Ex:Books, film, television
Define: Social Media
Means of connecting and interacting actively
What are the two basic components of Agenda Setting Theory?
- Power of press
- Individual thought
What is the Agenda Setting Theory?
News media has a large influence on the audience
Agenda Stting Theory rises and falls on what?
- Ability to show a match between:
- Media's agenda
- Public's agenda at a later date
What do we form relationships for?
attraction, rewards, and intimacy
intimacy in relationships can be ________ and ________.
emotional and financial
Mutuality of Definition
When each person in a relationship sees roles enacted the same way as the other individual sees
What are the types of dialectical tension?
- one person in relationship ignores other person without realizing it
- "comm efforts become lax as relationship settles into comfortable familiarity"
- intimacy only needs to be established once
- relationships are for status or power
- intimacy needs to be reestablished
- relationships are not for status or power
What is the group decision making skill used for creativity?
What are the three key variables to group work?
What was the group that dealt with the Cuban Missile Crisis?
Who dealt with the JFK assassination?
What is the first thing a group does?
identify and define the problem
- term for "sharing of knowledge"
- reason groups are used
if a group has too many procedures to follow, it can fall victim to this
A frequent constraint to group decision making is:
Agenda Setting Theory is based on idea that...
media tells people how to act and in many cases they do
What are the four crucial variables to understanding media?
What is the basis for uses and gratification theory?
People have the ability for independent and critical thinking
How many women are stalked each year?
What was internet mainly used for in the early days?
gaining access to print media stores
The "digital divide" refers to...?
the gap between people who use/have internet and those who don't
What is a key difference between traditional print and digital media?
Digital can provide hyperlinks
What is one downside to internet?
Great hunting ground for predators