A kind of language that says more intesely than does ordinary language.
Literal meaning; Dictionary defenition; Face valve
Figurative meaning; suggestive meaning; interpretative; emotional response.
A representation of language through the sense. Sensory language.
To be able "to see" "to hear" "to tase" "to touch" "to smell" through the language (word) used to descrive a person, place, object, feeling.
Allowing the reader to response to what they are reading.
An inderect comparison between two unlike objects.
Ex: Reachel was burning with anger.
A direct comparison between two unlike objects unsing "like" "as" "seems" "than"
Ex: Life is like a photograph.
Giving human qualities
to inanimate objects
- Ex: Time flies.
- Hell'sopen gaping mouth.
- Tears began to fall from the sky.
Something that represents something else.
Concrete abstract meaning.
- Ex: Flag = Liberty
- Red rose = Love
- Skull with crossed bones = Death
The opposite occurs.
Three types: verbal, dramatic, stituational.
Say the opposite of what you mean.
Ex: Call someone Shorty who is Tall
The outcomes is unexpected.
Ex: Man who takes aside in order to avoid getting sprinkled by wet dog, and falls into a swimming pool.
The audience knows more than actors on stage.
Ex: Hamlet thinks the king is praying while in the chapel so decides against killing him, but the audience knows that king Claudius is not praying
A historical, mythological, literary, or biblical reference that enchances meaning of the text.
- Ex: "Like Niobe, all tears"
- was a mother who became a waterfall after her children died.
Central apple tree in the wild garden ---> Adam & Eve
- A contradiction; an impossibility.
- Upon further examination, it is possible.
- Ex: "The Child is father of the man"
- Child is father (Teacher) of the man
- "The father is a stranger in his own home"
- the father is always working
Exageration. Saying more than what you mean.
Speakers attitude in the poem.
Say less than what you mean.
14 line poem
- Shakespeare/English/ Elizabethan:
- -3 quatrains = 12 lines--->tell a story
- -1 couplet = 8 lines----> theme
- Petrarchan/ Italian:
- octave = 8 lines ---> ? or problem
- sestet = 6 lines ---> answer/ solution