People selectively interpret what they see based on their interests, background, experience, and attitude.
BIG 5 PERSONALITIES
- Extraversion: (social outgoing) - retail, sales person
- Agreeableness (good nature, open minded, open to suggestions) Managers, people who work in groups or teams
- Conscientiousness (dependable) supervisor bosses and leaders
- Emotional Stability (bipolar
- Openess to experiences (innovators, willing to try, seek changes)
Im in Control – Project Managers, CEO’s, General in the Army
Fate & Env. Is in control (blame outside them) – Assist and help others, gentler, nurses, counselors, compassion.
Manipulating others to satisfy your own needs (manipulators)
Theory X assumptions:
- * Employee dislike work
- * Employee attempt to avoid work
- * Employee must be coerced, controlled, or threatened with punishment If they are to perform.
Theory Y assumptions:
- * Employees like to work
- * Employees are creative, and seek responsibility
- * Employees can exercise self direction and self control.
- Achievement: need to reach goals take responsibility
- Power: desire to control one’s environment
- Affiliation: desire to seek approval conform to other wishes.
Reinforcement Theory: system of motivation for employees OPERANT CONDITING: Behavior à Reward or Punishment ORGANIZATIONAL BEHAVIOR MODIFICATION (OB MOD)
- Required behavior:
- Forming (getting to know each other)
- Storming (dealing with tensions and defining group task) ->
- Norming (building relationship
- and working together) ->
- Performing (Maturation
- in relationships and task performances)
- -> Adjourning (disbanding and celebrating accomplishment)
- What happens when you move from forming to storming (ideas do not match, conflicts arrives)
- 3rd phase: something
- solid comes up out of it. They organize the process and set rules of conducts. Roles (group project)
- 4thphase: check point, control, make sure we are on the right track.
- 5th phase: