What are patterns that emerge in Black Screen Representation?
- 1. Performing trite acts (laughing, washing babies, spinning cotton)
- 2. Saving the lives of whites
- 3. Servants in a subservient capacity
- 4. Shiftless, lazy, watermelon and chicken eaters
- 5. Objects of fear
Who was one of the first black filmmakers?
- William Foster
- - Foster Photoplay Comapany aka Will Foster Moving Picture Company(w/ Joe Shoecraft)
- - Railroad Porter (Comedy): no record of it just in newspapers
Who was one of the First Black Actors?
- Bert Williams
- - payed for college by performing with traveling company
- - had a partner, George Wilkes: Two Real Coons
- - thought to have exploited the black race; controversial