If there is pain in the anatomical snuff box what bones has been fractured?
what is the principle function of the shoulder?
Place the hand in space
I have soft tissue swelling in my upper arm/shoulder?
Bicep area has a round bulge more distal?
what is the diff b/t atrophy and dislocation of the humerous?
- dislocation: humeral head felt down and inferiorly, flat
- atrophy: humeral head not felt, flat
Paralyzed serratus anterior and long thoracic nerve injury?
Four muscles of the rotator cuff? SITS
- Teres minor
what muscle is generally damaged in rotator cuff injuries?
I have pain in my shoulder as I elevate my hands, local tenderness as well?
- Impingement syndrome (Tendonitis of Rotator Cuff)
- ** Supraspinatous muscle is impinged
I cannot abduct my arms?
- Rotator cuff tear
- ** Supraspinatous mm torn
What test is performed for impingement syndrome?
Abduct and rotate
What test is performed for a rotator cuff tear?
Drop Arm Sign: If they abduct and then try to drop, the arm will drop quickly and uncontrollably
How do you test Supraspinatous?
Abduct against resistance
How do you test Subscapularis?
Medial rotation against resistance
How do you test infraspinatous & teres minor?
Lateral rotation against resistance
I have a dull, aching pain with no tenderness. It is also hard to move my arm?
What joint most commonly is agitated by degenerative arthritis?
- Acromioclavicular joint
- ** 10% pain = arthritis
- ** 90% pain = soft tissue issue
I recently exercised, and I have pain at the bicipital groove in proximal humerus. My shoulder motion is also limited.
bicipital tenosynovitis (tendonitis)
What is Yergason's sign?
- Test for bicipital tendonitis
- ** flex to 90, pronate forearm, grab pts hand and ask them to supinate = pain at bicipital groove
What are four common issues with the elbow?
- Olecranon Bursitis
What is another name for lateral epicondylitis?
Tennis elbow (extension/DF pain)
What is another name for medial epicondylitis?
Pitcher's/golfer's elbow (flexion pain)
Child is guarding extreminty, has limited ROM, holds elbow flexed with forearm pronated...what is the condition and what ligament is affected?
- Nursemaids elbow
- ligament: Anular ligament
Fracture of distal radius
What is the Allen test?
- occlude radial and ulnar arteries
- have pt make fist several times and squeeze
- have pt release fist
- release pressure over ulnar artery
- hand should be pink again 3-5 s
what nerve is compressed in carpal tunnel?
Median nerve at flexor retinaculum
What is Tinel's sign?
- ** for carpal tunnel
- Percuss over median nerve and ask the pt if they feel sensation
What is Phalen's test?
- **for carpal tunnel
- Hold both hands together while flexed (back to back) for 30-60 s
- If carpal tunnel, sensation in hands will disappear
extensor tendons of thumb are painful, pain over radial styloid
Pain is worse with flexion of thumb
tenosynovitis of the wrist (deQuervain's tenosynovitis)