- depend on the amount of matter that is present
- include volume mass and amount of energy in substance
- do not depend on the amount of matter present.
- melting point, boiling point, density, and ability to conduct electricity and heat.
- characteristic that can be observed or measured without changing the identity of the substance.
- melting point, boiling point
- change in a substance that does not involve a change in the identity of the substance.
- grinding, cutting, melting, and boiling of material.
change of state
physical change of a substance from one state to another
- matter that has definite volume and shape
- particles are packed together by strong attractive forces.
- matter that has a definite volume but no definite shape.
- particles are close together but can still mow around each other.
- matter that has neither definite volume or shape
- particles move rapidly and are very spaced out so they have less force
high temperature physical state of matter in which atoms lose most of their electrons, particles that make up atoms.
substances ability to undergo chugs that transform it into different substances.
chemical change or reaction
change in which one or more substances are converted into different substances.
substances that react in a chemical change
substances that are formed by the chemical change
Law of Conservation of energy
energy cannot be created or destroyed
blend of two or more kinds of matter, each retains its own identity and properties.
- uniform in composition
- Also known as soltion
not uniform throughout
- is carried out for the sake of increasing knowledge
- study of properies
- how and why an action occurs
- generally carried out to solve a problem
- find a cure for cancer or disease
- typically involves the production and use of products that improve our quality of life.
- •catalytic converters in cars
- • biodegradable materials
- same composition
- same characteristics property
groups or families
contain similar chemical properties
chemical properties change regularly across